Thursday, October 8, 2009

Taking Time

It's fall break.

I've spent my morning out running errands: shopping to get ready for our camping trip that starts tomorrow! It was so nice to wake up without an alarm, to put on fallish clothes, to go out and breathe the air and to wander down aisles of food with a cup of pumpkin lovliness in my hand, feeling tall and alive ("tall" is not a good description, as I'm not - but it really is what it feels like). It was good to take my time. And what really makes me happy is that I didn't realize that the copy of the book I reserved at the store was the hardback version. It really is lovely - such a pretty shade of green with silver embossed script. I can't wait to read it.

There's still a lot to do. But with the windows open, the groceries bought, and the mid-day energy dip, I'm still taking my time. I'm admiring the strong roots growing on my bulbs. (Well, one of them. Hopefully the other two soon! I can see the little baby nubs.) I'm taking a break - a real break on my bed, not at my desk. I'm watching the sunshine move across my room.

And I'm writing lists in my head. Of essentials we'll need. Of all the other things we'll bring for "fun" - games, balls, swim suits. Of my things, the books and knitting and journal. And lists of new camping things I want to bring: a candle to light on our table and a mason jar for flowers or leaves. But I'm leaving the lists in my head for the moment. It's good to take my time. It will all get done.

It's so easy for life to get flurried. For the push to always be to be done, the whole list crossed off. Instead of just doing this one thing I have on hand at the moment, and doing it well. I will never be done. There will always be something else! So I'm not aiming for that "doneness" today, but just to be settled and purposeful in the doing. It's something I've been conscious of lately. This quiet focus on the job at hand. Not just during my break from school when the pace can be slower, but also in and among the assignments and projects and business of life in general.

 But it is fall break, after all. So today, I'm taking my time.

2 comments:

  1. I *love* hardback books - and taking time to be purposeful in each bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely post, E :) Thanks for blessing me, and I know many others that visit are also blessed. Maybe we can get together soon, will you be gone during your whole fall break?

    Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete