Tuesday, January 26, 2010

waxing...circular.

::i began writing this blog post in my head while washing the dishes. and looking at my reflection in the window that faces the sink. i figured i should get one of those "written in my head" posts out into tangible words.::

i don't know why, but i've found myself recently sighing for the days when life was simple. this only satisfies for a moment until i really think about the days...and there doesn't seem to be any simplicity about them. (and then i really think about my perception of the past and realize it will forever be skewed by something called "hindsight bias" - or, looking at things differently because you know where they led. so maybe, in times past, things did seem simple (and i can't see that because i'm looking back at them)...and maybe they weren't even simple at the time. and, maybe, it was both. confusing, huh? [please tell me that i'm not the only one who analyzes things around in circles like this.])

i was looking for a particular word the other day that describes how God is everywhere. it's omnipresent. omnipresent means that God is in my past. and in my future. and here with me right now. it's a fact i've been aware of for as long as i can remember. (translation of "aware of" being that i could have rattled off the fact to you. and mentally processed it.) maybe it's because of the familiarity that this concept of omnipresence seems easier to comprehend than the question of whether my previous years were simple or not. because, really...think about it. God wasn't always the companion i chose in the past. and yet...He is there. how does that work? my past doesn't change because of His Presence. what happened has still happened. (whether it was simple or not.) but somehow...His being there...His being with me...does make a difference. my past is redeemed. and i'm not talking about any specific thing here. i'm talking about all of it. incredible, huh?

this thought process may or may not have a defined conclusion (aside from the fact that God is awesome and i can't begin to comprehend His ways). it's just my brain tumbling around philosophical questions. (quite imperfectly, i might add.) and it's done now. thanks for listening. *smile*

4 comments:

  1. I think you need a new tag: Ouch! Philosophy! Don't read too late at night or the world will start spinning...circularly, of course. ;)

    I really am just kidding... you know me, the-asker-of-hard-questions. Isn't it *amazing* how much thinking you can get done during dishes?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. anytime, that's what blogging friends are for! :)

    I enjoyed your thought process... it made me think of the verse in Jeremiah 31 "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." (just thinking about that makes me love Him more! :)
    God has been so good in saving us that, I truly believe it is beyond me to figure it all out! i leave in things the way you did: "God is awesome and i can't begin to comprehend His ways". :)

    Romans 11:33-36 "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, kaitlyn, i was so glad you added your thoughts. :)

    and diana: i think i just need a sign to go along with the "thoughts" tag:: **danger* emily is thinking!* lol

    ReplyDelete