Wednesday, September 1, 2010

have i told you that i'm an introvert?

It's true. I process things internally. Sometimes deeply internally.

The funny thing about that is that the single thing that helps me process most effectively (especially emotions) is to talk. It doesn't even always have to be about the thing or the emotion itself. it's just the act of sharing, of being open, of pushing myself past my internal boundaries into the free air.

So the deal is, I need to talk. I'm going through some life changes here (dear friend starting college several states away from me, crazy practicum schedule beginning next week) and I see the potential for me to board myself up and just not come out for a few months. And that's not the kind of potential I look for when I want to see growth! :)

My consensus is that I need some sort of accountability for this; I figured my blog was a great option. I'd been considering posting here a lesson I learn each day for September, but I realized it doesn't even need to be that specific. Let's keep it simple, shall we? I'd like to set an expectation to post here each day this month. Most days it should be words, but I'm not making a rule against photos-only on a few days. I speak sometimes through images, too.

So, come on an adventure with me? I have no idea what I'll write or how the time/energy-factor will work once practicum starts. But I am excited to try.

Have I told you that I like few things better than a purposeful challenge?

3 comments:

  1. oh, yes, i will come on your adventure. i've recently decided myself that i also need some kind of accountability to talk and share, instead hiding inside myself. you've inspired me to apply your challenge to myself. it amazes me how God uses what you post to speak to me right where i am, too. isn't He great?! {hugs} xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and blessings for you in this time of change. These are two songs I've been listening to a lot during my own goodbyes the past few weeks...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNe59AD_K7Q&ob=av2n

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLj_xo2Jkc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, I recently posted a quote from John Calvin to my FB page that reminded me of your post: "Being by nature a bit antisocial and shy, I always loved retirement and peace… But God has so whirled me around by various events that He has never let me rest anywhere, but in spite of my natural inclination, has ...made me ‘get into the game,’ as they say.” Remember that in God's hands, being an introvert and being greatly used in the kingdom are not necessarily incompatible! Accountability and transparency are also good things to culture and encourage.

    ReplyDelete